I LOVE to travel! Traveling truly makes me happy and gives me something to look forward to. BUT when you’re a graduate student and you’re surviving off of graduate pay…. traveling can be IMPOSSIBLE and IMPRACTICAL when considering finances. I am going to tell you how I have gotten over 6 domestic flights for FREE in the last 8 months! This is something I will do for the rest of my life because it’s soooo easy and beneficial.
What’s the secret?
I have an airline credit card! I live in a small town so I have to drive 2 hours the airport. Since I am in the south, Southwest airlines is always the most affordable option. So one day, I decided to get their credit card. All I do is pay my bills on the credit card every month and I accumulate points. Once I have charged the bills on my card and they show up on my online dashboard, I pay the card off with the money I would have spent anyway! I think this is a foolproof system. You literally get airline miles for paying for something you would already pay for!
How do I get one?
Here is the link to apply for the Southwest Airlines Credit Card through Chase. https://www.referyourchasecard.com/223/8S7K8I3QAF
By using the link above, you will get an extra 40,000 RapidReward Points or “miles” credited to your account after you spend $1000 (that’s barely a month’s worth of bills). I wish I would have had someone’s referral link because I had to spend $3,000 to get an extra 30,000 (which sucks compared to this deal!) Depending on where you want to go, 40,000 points could easily be 3 round trip flights!
Perks of Southwest Airline Credit Card
Here are the perks of the card:
- Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
- 6,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary
- 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases and Rapid Rewards® Hotel and Car Rental Partner purchases
- 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Earn unlimited points that don’t expire as long as your card account is open
- No foreign transaction fees
- No blackout dates or seat restrictions, Bags fly free® and no change fees
- Redeem your points for flights, hotel stays, gift cards, access to events and more
My personal opinion / experience
I love this card because when I applied for it, my credit was not the best (~630ish) and I got approved. So if you are young and just now starting to build your credit, this is the card for you. Also, since I’ve had the card, my credit score has increased to 670!! I have nothing bad to say about this card, EXCEPT that I keep missing school because I am always out of town (which is a good thing for me)!!
So my secret is out! Do you have an airline credit card that you think is better? Let ya fellow travel sis know! We all want to fly for FREE!!!!